HAND MADE BASIL PESTO
For me this recipe is an absolute must for anyone who loves pesto, not only that, the best thing is, it is handmade, no using any blenders or food processors, this recipe is made the old school way with a pestle and mortar.
As a chef, my job is always about flavour, so using this handmade recipe, the oils and the aromatics that come out as you making this are just amazing, give it a go, let me know how you get on, I would love to see your creations.
150G BASIL LEAVES (no stalk)
45G PINE NUTS (toasted)
60G PARMESAN CHEESE
75G OLIVE OIL
30G GARLIC (take out the root)
40G DIJON MUSTARD
20G LEMOIN JUICE (fresh)
PINCH OF SALT, PEPPER, SUGAR
1. Place the basil, garlic, pine nuts in a pestle and mortar.
2. Bash all of them together, until of the ingredients have almost turned into a paste.
3. Add the mustard and the parmesan, keep bashing and mixing well for a few minutes.
4. At this stage add the olive oil and the parmesan, this is the point that. Pesto really comes to life, so make sure to really mix this well, you do this in a separate bowl, or if space allows, you can still keep mixing in the pestle and mortar.
5. Finally, season well, then add the lemon juice, serve when ready.
Enjoy - JKP